• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Optician - patient's record

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optician - patient's record

Hi.
    I recently had an eye test at an optician (big chain) and got a prescription for new glasses (different lenses).
    I asked for a copy of my file but they refused. I have a type of cancer which can spread to the brain, i.e. brain metastases, and I think they're afraid I might try and take them to court if I later develop brain mets, saying they should have spotted the brain mets etc. That is absolutely not what I am planning to do, I am just looking for work in another part of the country and I already had to take a train (1 hour trip each way) to attend my appointment!
    I've looked online (for example https://guidance.college-optometrist...tient-records/ ) and it looks like, in the UK, patient files are not owned by the patient but by the practice (unlike in my country, where I successfully threatened a hospital with legal action if they refused to give me my files back - I wanted to move to another hospital, and ended up having to do all the tests, MRIs, biopsies, a second time, while the first hospital was trying to convince me to let them treat me). I find that odd, and really inconvenient.
    I am not trying to flag any mistake on their part, but I'm afraid that what's they think I want to do. The cancer hospital where I'm monitored is overseas so it's not convenient for me to ask them to ask the opticians to forward the records to them, especially as Covid 19 has made their work more difficult (some of the staff are sleeping 5 or 6 nights out of 7 at the hospital as they fear they might catch the virus on public transport, or from people in their household). Repeating tests isn't very helpful (doctors look at the evolution) and it's both time consuming and costly!
    Tags: None

I was under the impression that opticians in England have to give you a copy of request so that you can buy the glasses elsewhere if you wish

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
      I was under the impression that opticians in England have to give you a copy of request so that you can buy the glasses elsewhere if you wish
      Thanks Islandgirl. It's not the prescription I want but the findings of one of the test (looking for scotomas, i.e. blind spots).

Comment

Ah apologies sorry I misunderstood. I know you have a right here to see your medical records so I wonder why opticians records would be different? You could contact the trade body for Opticians and ask them? The Royal College of Opthalmologists may be the place to start,

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
          Ah apologies sorry I misunderstood. I know you have a right here to see your medical records so I wonder why opticians records would be different? You could contact the trade body for Opticians and ask them? The Royal College of Opthalmologists may be the place to start,
          Cheers. I will ask them nicely when I go there to pick up the glasses, and if that doesn't work, I'll do as you suggest.

Comment

There is a section here concerning data Protection which you might useful Patient records - The College of Optometrists (college-optometrists.org)

">.>Access to the record must be given within the time limit set out in the act and the GDPR requires that, if a patient asks for a copy of their record, this must be provided free of charge in most instances<<"

Send a Subject Access Request

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X