• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice: Blackstone's Statutes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice: Blackstone's Statutes

Hello everyone, I'm an European Lawyer and I started to do English Law.
    I need to have an advice.
    I studied many books to improve my knowledge, but I'd like to know if is better for me to study (as lawyer) on Blackstone's Statutes to solve my client's case?
    Thanks
    Tags: None

In my experience, law books (in general; not just Blackstone's) go out of date fairly quickly due to legislative amendments and developing case law. This may be even more evident now the UK has left the EU. They're also relatively expensive, so I suggest you consider on-line subscriptions. These get updated regularly, and often have FAQs and/or forums that may assist with enhanced learning.

Comment

Originally posted by Aged William View Post
      In my experience, law books (in general; not just Blackstone's) go out of date fairly quickly due to legislative amendments and developing case law. This may be even more evident now the UK has left the EU. They're also relatively expensive, so I suggest you consider on-line subscriptions. These get updated regularly, and often have FAQs and/or forums that may assist with enhanced learning.
      Thanks.
      Can you advice an online subscription?
      I do Civil Law, in particular Family,Tort and Contract.

Comment

I don't think I can be much help, my field is policing and criminal law - I use mainly PNLD and Blackstone's for commentary, and legislation.gov for the definitive.

Comment

I know it's important to use online subscription, but I'd like to have a text book too.
          Do you think is good for me to have Blackstone's Statutes and a Case Law Book?
          For sure BS is good, but I don't understand if a Case Law book could help me.
          Last edited by Zlatan; 25th February 2021, 08:51:AM.

Comment

I've never liked Blackstones books but expect to pay through the roof for online subscriptions and if you are only studying then it's probably not worth it.

If you can afford it, Chitty on Contracts is the authority in relation to contract law and also used many times by the courts as a reference. Something more palatable on the wallet but still quite dense in terms of content is Treitel on the Law of Contract.

There are several books dedicated to case law with additional commentary and other text but you do have to be careful as some of them may be out of date by a few years and a new edition is probably in the works in the next 12 months, so bear that in mind. For example, this textbook on Tort case law was last published in 2017 but a new edition is due to be published in 2022.

Not all cases in England in Wales are reported (County Court for example) but if you want to find a case, then you can try the BAILLI website which publishes reported cases that stem from the High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court.
            If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER
            Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
              I've never liked Blackstones books but expect to pay through the roof for online subscriptions and if you are only studying then it's probably not worth it.

If you can afford it, Chitty on Contracts is the authority in relation to contract law and also used many times by the courts as a reference. Something more palatable on the wallet but still quite dense in terms of content is Treitel on the Law of Contract.

There are several books dedicated to case law with additional commentary and other text but you do have to be careful as some of them may be out of date by a few years and a new edition is probably in the works in the next 12 months, so bear that in mind. For example, this textbook on Tort case law was last published in 2017 but a new edition is due to be published in 2022.

Not all cases in England in Wales are reported (County Court for example) but if you want to find a case, then you can try the BAILLI website which publishes reported cases that stem from the High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court.
              Thank you so much for your advice.
              I just bought Blackstone's Statutes for Family Law and for Contact and Tort and I added 2 handbook for these matter.
              I just visited Bailli and it's a fantastic website very useful.

Comment

There's also Case Mine which may be of interest

https://www.casemine.com/judgments/uk?locale=en_UK

Comment

Thank you to all

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X