• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Obtaining copies or corrispondance prior to fileing a claim against 3rd party

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obtaining copies or corrispondance prior to fileing a claim against 3rd party

Hi,
    I am in the middle of fileing a claim against another party for breach of contract. Unfortunately and embarrassingly my laptop was taken to the repair shop and removed the hard drive. All my correspondence has been lost. I should have backed it up. It was such a blow,ive considered leaving the matter but unfortunately iam going to have to pursue the matter. I have already tried to obtain information from the other party and they have refused as well as refusing video conferencing to try to resolve the dispute. is there a method to obtain all information including all email correspondence from the party.
    Thank you
    Steveeasy
    Tags: None

Is the other party a company? I have filed subject access requests to obtain all correspondence relating to me. By law companies have to hand over all communication relating to the third party making the request. Obviously this may not work if the other party is a crooked small player but it should work for bigger organisations.

Comment

Hi,
      Thank you for your reply. Its the following A company limited by guarantee and not having share capital with charitable status. Registered in England and Wales Company no: Tried to submit both fr4eedom of information and subject access requests before and refused.

Many thanks
      steveeasy

Comment

I have a feeling (but I'm not certain) that companies can ignore SARs if legal proceedings are pending.

There may be other legal ways of getting the info from them (eg some sort of disclosure).

See what others say...

Comment

You have a couple of options.

1) You could use GDPR subject access request to obtain anything stored on you.

2) You could request the documents during document disclosure process before a hearing.

Unfortunately you run the risk that the respondent may simply deny holding any information on you. If this is the case, they could never use articles which you have specifically requested and which they may be concealing, against you since this would be incriminating.

Depending on the type of case you may rarely be able to rely on balance of probabilities and burden of proof to induce them to disclose something in their defence and work from that.

Other than that, the burden of proof falls on the claimant and if you your evidence is lost you stand little chance of success.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X