• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Good afternoon.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good afternoon.

Good afternoon. I hope I find you well, or as well as possible with everything that's currently happening. I do have an issue, just happened this morning and may, hopefully, be easily resolved, but I thought I would ask for advice in case I get the runaround.

The issue is regarding a faulty cash machine not dispensing money.

I asked for a withdrawel of funds, my card was returned and the display stated that the transaction was being processed. The money counter then started to count the notes but was taking much longer then normal. Suddenly there was an error message on the screen stating that the transaction could not be completed and the money was not ejected. I swore and walked away and I did not withdraw the cash. I then went to another cash machine in a different area which told me that it could not complete the transaction and stated that I should contact the card holder. Now I have had two and even three cash machines in a row to be faulty, so thought nothing of it (except some rude words). I then tried a third and imagine my surprise when it stated that I couldn't withdraw any money as I had reached my withdrawel limit! Despite not actually taking any money out. Now the transaction is showing on my account, £500! Despite the payment not being made.

I have been to my building society and reported it and made a 'ATM Claim' as they call it and have received a claim number. I returned to the supermarket with the faulty cash machine but they are adamant that they cannot do anything. Basically they can't be ar*ed.

Now it may be resolved easily enough and the funds returned, but if not I need to know my options. I was wondering if getting a copy of the fault log (or whatever they call it) of the ATM was possible to show that there was a fault at the time? Plus all ATM's have cameras I believe. Is it possible to request CCTV footage of the transaction which would clearly show that I did not withdraw the cash? Hopefully it will not come to this, but just in case.

I was wondering if someone could offer some advice?
    Tags: None

So why have you started 3 threads on the same subject without responding to answers already given?

Comment

Three threads? I posted in the hello section just to say hi and then there's this one. Don't know anything about a third?

Comment

There's no point taking it up with the supermarket; they have nothing to do with ATMs on their property - they merely rent out a hole in their wall.

I've had "phantom withdrawals" cancelled by my bank before without a problem, but I do now tend to video withdrawals on my 'phone just in case.

The only problem you might have is if the ATM cash dispense was delayed and you left before it was produced. AIUI the m/c is meant to take the money back in if thet happens, but I've certainly been to an ATM and found cash just sitting there waiting to be picked up. Either the person before me forgot to take the money or they gave up waiting for it.

(That was at about 11pm and I returned the cash to the bank the following morning).

Comment

The machines are audited every day. As part of the evidence, you should provide the building soc with the locations and the times of the attempted withdrawals.

Comment

Thank you for your replies. The bank is aware of the fault. The money counter was running but then an error message came on the screen saying that the transaction could not be completed. I then walked away. If memory serves ATM's tend to have CCTC and I was wondering if I could request said CCTV footage at the time from whoever operates that ATM as it will clearly show that I did not withdraw the funds.

Comment

Your bank should be doing that for you. You can always ask them to confirm they are checking the CCTV?

Whoever controls the ATM is unlikely to release CCTV footage to you. I suppose you could send them a SAR, but you'd have to prove your identity, they don't know what you look like etc so I can see all sorts of delay and I've no doubt it's both quicker and easier to just let your bank pursue it. If everything happened as you say, I see no problems. When I had a similar problem my bank sorted it out to my satisfaction within a couple of days.

EDIT: You say the bank is "aware of the fault" so you should have nothing to worry about. Or do you mean the bank is aware of your complaint rather than that they are aware of a fault with the ATM?

Comment

The bank were made aware of the issue as I reported it to them. I am however delighted to announce that I have checked my online banking just minutes ago and it has been credited back into my account. I am very chuffed!

Many thanks to all of those who have responded :-).

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X