• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

90 minute Directions hearing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 minute Directions hearing

So, bit odd, this one...

Hope someone can advise...

I had a hearing scheduled just before Covid and we exchanged evidence. There was no Witness Statement submitted by the Defendant, despite Court order to do so.

I took advice. Was told this weighs things heavily in my favour. It is a breach of CPR, and the specific Court instructions i.e. 'file signed and certified Witness Statements by this date.' and basically, it means that my evidence and Witness Statements will be about the only thing the Judge will rely on. The Defendant sent a bullet point list to the Court which looks like their defence, and they intend to be there on the day, but it is obvious this so-called legal rep. for their company does not know what he is doing,

So both parties then had to tell the Court what we wanted to do after Covid led to the cancellation of the final hearing back in May. Did we prefer to have things decided based on the written evidence already submitted, or have our attendance via telephone/video, or wait until we can attend in person?

After waiting three weeks for the other side to tell the Court what they wanted, they failed to respond.

I did respond, and advised I requested things to be considered on the so-far submitted written evidence.

The Court HAD told me that as the Defendant failed to answer, only my request would be considered and it would proceed based on the written submissions already made (remember, they have not even filed a Witness Statement by the deadline we were set).

The Judge has now ordered a directions hearing.

The odd thing is it is ninety minutes long?

Really, I now think requesting summary judgment would be beneficial, as the other side have acted so poorly.

Does anyone know whether I can still do this? And can anyone comment on the likelihood my request will succeed, given what I have explained about this case in the previous posts?

I suspect the length of this hearing is because the Judge thinks he might get the whole thing dealt with at this one single hearing.

Tags: None

Help!

Comment

Just bumping this...

Comment

Basically, what I am asking is whether an application for summary Judgement in my favour sounds reasonable? Given that the other side has not sent a Witness Statement.

Comment

I'd let it go to the hearing.
          Have you read CPR 24?

Comment

Yes. What are your thoughts?

Comment

This is small claims (?) and judges bend over backwards to appear fair (even if it is unfair to the other side).
              You have to pay for an application for summary judgement (which should be before allocated to small claims track) and it might not be granted.
              It is just that I wouldn't be bothered.

You refer to the other party as having an inept legal rep. Are they a party authorised to conduct litigation?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X