• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CCTV and Data Protection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCTV and Data Protection

If a business publishes CCTV footage of children/teenagers on facebook in order to identify them, are they breaching data protection or any other laws?

Just to clarify, all faces are clearly seen and identifiable on the video, no attempt was made by the business to conceal the faces..
    Last edited by MrSparkle; 17th August 2020, 11:17:AM.
    Tags: None

It seems that the business is in breach of the GDPR because they are using the cctv footage for a purpose it was not collected for and that they are not registered to use it for.

How do I report a business for breaching GDPR?

Ive looked on the ICO site and that only allows me to report breaches to my data being used. Nowhere can I find a link to report a business for breaching GDPR.

Comment

You can try casework@ico.org.uk but you should make it clear the complaint is not in relaiton to your data.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks I will give that a go.

Curious that there is no way on the ICO site to report a business for using someone elses data in breach of GDPR. Is it a case of if the person doesnt know their data is being misused then its not being misused?

Comment

Bit of a late reply, but there is no context to the original question so I'm not sure how the likes of the GDPR can be considered breached without all the relevant facts. If you think a business has breached someone else's rights, you are likely to have a lot more joy contacting the registered Data Controller for the business and asking them the question - rather than putting a report into the ICO.

For example, are the children/teenagers in a shop and being captured on CCTV in the act of shoplifting or intimidating staff/customers? If the CCTV is declared correctly for crime detection/prevention purposes and the requisite notices in the shop are present, the business may be able to argue the publishing of the coverage in such a case is justified.

Doesn't necessary mean it's a good idea though. In fact, the Police recommend business's CCTV footage in cases like that is left to them to deal with - but the reasons have more to do with prejudicing criminal cases, and potentially wrongly incriminating someone - than GDPR. The problem is whether the Police have the bandwidth and inclination to properly investigate such cases and put the coverage on the sort of local forums that might yield results. So I can certainly understand why businesses affected by such crime try to do a bit of groundwork for the Police, and they are certainly using the data for its intended purpose - but they would be advised to seek permission to post from the Police first.

Where the business may get into trouble is if they aren't on solid ground with any direct/implied allegation, leaving themselves open to a defamation case and by implication, the misuse of data.

ICO publish a code of practice for CCTV use by businesses which is worth a read.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X