• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Unsafe van door

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsafe van door

Hi all, I guess that it is illegal to drive a van with a door open, as something could fall out on to the road. Not that I can find much about the UK law on this.
    I just changed jobs and I share a van with another driver. On the first day I found that the passenger side door was very had to close. During the day after I closed the door and drove off the door open.
    I have reported this faulty door to my boss. Who said “we know just do not use the door. It will been locked at, at some point.”
    So, it is illegal to drive a van with an open or faulty side door?
    Tags: None

From MoT testers Manual:
    (a) A door will not open using the relevant control or close properly Major
    (b) A door likely to open inadvertently or not remain closed:

(i) in the case of a sliding door
    (ii) in the case of a turning door

Major
    Dangerous
    As the driver you will be liable if there is an incident involving these doors.
    Your boss is also negligent if he allows a vehicle in that condition to be used, and I would be looking for another boss if that is his attitude to health and safety.
    Also it is not just your health and safety, but that of other road users as well.

As a driver you might be charged with using a vehicle in a dangerous condition (RTA 1988 sec 40a) and also Breach of construction and use regulations (sec 42). Not saying you would, but if all goes tits up...........

The peeps over at Pepipo will have more accurate take on this http://forums.pepipoo.com/

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X