• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Access CCTV because of theft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access CCTV because of theft

Hello! New to forum so apologies if I have not posted in the right place.

My problem began a week ago when my car got stolen. The car was parked in front of a small business shop. I have called police and the crime has been registered.
    The shop has CCTV and I am 100% sure that the theft of the vehicle was recorded by the CCTV.
    The police refuses to investigate as they say they do not have a lead to follow despite the fact that I have told them that the shop has a CCTV and the crime has been recorded. They said that unless they know for sure that the footage is clear enough, they cannot do anything. Only then, they can request the footage.

On the other hand, I have asked the employees of the shop if I can review the footage. They said they do not have access to it, only the manager which is very busy and does not come often at the shop. They informed the manager and she said that they cannot and will not review the footage unless the police will request it.

What advices do you have for me as I feel I am stuck and do not know what to do?

Thank you!

Kind regards,
    Virgil
    Tags: None

Don't do anything except make a claim on your insurance

Why do you want to do the police work?

If the car was not insured what are the chances of getting the thief (if caught) to pay for it if it isn't recovered.

And how can you be sure the theft was caught on CCTV?
    How do you know it covers that spot?
    How can you be sure it was recording at the time?
    And even if it does will it be clear enough to identify the thief?

However if you are unhappy with the police reaction, use their complaints procedure

Comment

I do not think the insurance will pay as it was a fault of mine by leaving the keys.

The cctv is recording as it is confirmed by the employee. It also impossible that it doesn t cover that spot it was right in front of the camera. I am not sure that the image is clear enough but the fact that the police refuses to check that footage seems odd and unfair to me and that is why I am trying to do their job.

I was going to go to the station tomorrow and complain, buy I was not sure if I am in the wrong by doing that.

Thank you!

Comment

I don't know which force area you are in, but they should have their complaints procedure online .

The problem of course is that if you do manage to get the police to order a re investigation
        it will fall to the same group of constables who have already concluded it's not worth doing!

You could possibly apply to the courts for an urgent injunction ordering the shop owner to preserve the CCTV recording and to release it to you.
        Of course that recording might easily* be accidentally wiped before the order can be complied with!

Comment

You have a good point.

I will try to reason with the owner of the shop tomorrow, see if I can get anywhere.
          I will also talk again to the police, maybe I will find a different officer on the line.

It is so frustrating to be powerless...

Thank you for your responses!

Comment

Update:

Apparently, police did not even know that there was a camera at the shop even though I have specifically mentioned twice in two different occasions. Now, the footage is being reviewed and investigated.

So much for trusting police and feel secure...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X