• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice on Vicarious Liability

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Vicarious Liability

Hi,

so I need some advice on whether a business that has delivery lorries entering their premises for the purpose of delivering goods, can be vicariously liable for when one of the delivery lorries has crashed into my car.

The company has big lorries which enter their premises from various suppliers, and as the lorry has reversed out of their front gate, it has hit my car and pulled the wing mirror completely out of the bracket.

I did not witness the incident as I was at work away from my car. But I have a witness unrelated to me, who told me about the incident when I arrived at my car, but he did not get the number plate and the lorry had parked inside the delivery area with the gates shit. He confirmed that the business were aware of it as they came out and picked up my wing mirror and put it in front of my car.

However they did not leave a note with details.

My understanding would be that the owners of the delivery vehicle(delivery company) would be liable
    under the normal avenues. However I want to know whether the business that was ordered the delivery, could be vicariously liable for the acts of the delivery driver, given the incident occurred during something they were party to.

im grateful to anyone who can advise me further, and I do apologise if this is posted into the incorrect forum, I just couldn’t see a more appropriate topic to post in.

Many thanks
    Tags: None

Hi and welcome

Have you asked the business to which deliveries were being made, for the name and address of the delivery company?
    I doubt you will get far with a claim for vicarious liability (if it was someone exiting your drive who had an accident you could not be held liable)
    If you approach them nicely they might make an ex gratia payment

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X