• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Crash on a national cycle route

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crash on a national cycle route

Good afternoon people

this affernoon i was in collision with another cyclist. I was rolling at a speed down a slope and the other cyclist come to a halt and had his child in one hand so i had nowhere to go and he couldn't move due to having his child in his hand so i crashed into him. The way i fell i took the majority of injury but he was in my face threatening to beat up me and my dad because his son could have been hurt i was tempted to say get a cart to attach to the bicycle then you wouldnt be hogging the pavememt instead i did what i could to diffuse the situation. He didn't ask for my name or anything like that I'm just curious who would be liable would it be me for crashing or both of us.
    Tags: None

Hi and welcome

Riding on the pavement??

I'm having difficulty imagining how one rides a bicycle whilst holding a child's hand (who was running alongside?)
    or was he carrying his child? (in which case he should go to parenting classes and take a cycle safe course!)

Anyway you admit you failed to stop when the other cyclist came to a halt.
    So it seems you were travelling too fast to stop in the available space.
    Guess who is liable!

If you normally cycle too fast on the pavement I would recommend you purchase a liability insurance policy

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
      Hi and welcome

Riding on the pavement??

I'm having difficulty imagining how one rides a bicycle whilst holding a child's hand (who was running alongside?)
      or was he carrying his child? (in which case he should go to parenting classes and take a cycle safe course!)

Anyway you admit you failed to stop when the other cyclist came to a halt.
      So it seems you were travelling too fast to stop in the available space.
      Guess who is liable!

If you normally cycle too fast on the pavement I would recommend you purchase a liability insurance policy
      That the point it's a joint cycling and walking pavement where he was holding his Child in one arm and controlling bike with other.

Secondly the pavement was very narrow my dad went past and he changed what arm he was holding his child with whilst peddling-he almost dropped his kid in doing this so he jammed his breaks on there was no available space I did apply breaks but was on top of him at that point and he was in middle of pavement i'll have to slow down from now on. I'll just write it off as one of those things and ride more cautiously

Comment

Sorry, but this has made me laugh.

OK joint pavement & cycle track... so why were you "rolling at a speed down a slope" where there could be pedestrians (perhaps elderly or infirm or children)?
        And the other guy just as inconsiderate as he could not possibly have had proper control, besides the danger he was putting his child in?

Do all cyclists now a days think like that?

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
          Sorry, but this has made me laugh.

OK joint pavement & cycle track... so why were you "rolling at a speed down a slope" where there could be pedestrians (perhaps elderly or infirm or children)?
          And the other guy just as inconsiderate as he could not possibly have had proper control, besides the danger he was putting his child in?

Do all cyclists now a days think like that?
          You are absolutely correct I know what i did was wrong It was more of a misjudgement and simply being a fool.

He didn't have any control like i say he almost dropped his kid and when he calmed down shook my hand told me to go to hospital and look after myself after an initial rage he seemed a good chap.He was all over the shop when he rode off.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X