• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help with long standing fraud, property scam and Lasting Power of Attorney

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with long standing fraud, property scam and Lasting Power of Attorney

Hello all, first time poster here on any kind of legal forum so please be nice!

Since my problem covers fraud, property law and in this instance LPA and questions about carer I'm putting it in the misc section, It is a very complex situation and I'd rather keep it to a single thread. to avoid repeating myself.

Over the past 12 years or so my mother has been extorted out of everything she owns, At first her life savings, then her buy-to-let property which was about halfway through its mortgage and finally the house I grew up in. The last of those is the case we are currently working on with a paralegal. We have a court date set and I am told that our chances of winning are very high.
    The effects on both our mental health have been catastrophic especially for my mother who is now an OAP. I was around 12 years old when this all started.
    To prevent any further monies going missing especially if we win this case, I have been advised to do an LPA for financial assets. My mother is extremely reluctant to do this, a large part of the reason being that there are things that have happened that she'd rather I didn't know about. The LPA is on the basis that she is mentally incapacitated, although if you were to meet her you would think she is totally compos mentis, however, she does have a history of depression over this 10 year period, and there is a very addiction-like theme to the way she was defrauded. I have yet to consult a Psychologist on this - which I intend to.

There is a lot about her financial history I don't know, namely exactly how much she is owed, how much she owes to people and who they are, and the legitimacy of those parties - We have in the past had threats of arson and bodily harm made against us - (not in relation to the case with our house)

So I guess my two questions are as follows:

What, if any repercussions are there if, for example, I have to make payments on her behalf that I/we can't afford. Do companies have the right to demand money from me on her behalf?

Due to the immense amount of people, paperwork, looking after her affairs will be an extremely time-consuming process. This comes at a time when I am starting a Masters degree in just over a month and hope to resuscitate my career after. What if any assistance or concessions can be made for this? Time is money and if I have to spend hours and hours every week dealing with this it will surely cost me a lot of money to manage.

I hope that was clear enough
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X