• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

HELP - Vvictim of ID fraud - various DCA's chasing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP - Vvictim of ID fraud - various DCA's chasing

As many of you know, there were fraudulent transactions on my bank account earlier this year. The transactions appeared as paypal transactions but nothing was on my paypal account. The transactions were reported to the bank who cancelled my debit card at the time & issued a new one. I was later refunded the money by the bank.

I thought that was the end of the matter but a few months later got a letter through from a Debt Collection Agency (DCA) advising paypal had passed them my details as I owed money to them. I contacted both PP & DCA to dispute the debt & seek further clarity. PP refused to provide any details & DCA ignored my email.

This month I received a second letter from the same DCA chasing this debt (despite them not replying to my first email). I have emailed them a Prove it letter but expect them to ignore that as well & continue to demand payment. I fully expect them to escalate to law enforcement.

Yesterday I received a letter from a separate DCA this time from my own country (not the UK) chasing alleged debt owed to a phone company for an unpaid phone bill. I know I have never used this company.

I'll also add that in relation to both cases the letter from respective DCA's is the first i've head re the debts. Surely if you owed a company money they would contact you directly to settle before escalating to a DCA? It may be the case that the companies did make contact via email but that would have went to the fraudsters email account not mines, but still seems weird the company wouldn't issue an actual letter to my address before passing it to DCA. Isnt that strange?

To me it's pretty clear that someone (most likely the person who made the initial fraudulent transactions) now that they are unable to make payments from my card (as it was cancelled by the bank) is instead just using my identity, name & address (at the least) to open various types of accounts/take out products etc on an international scale & accrue debt for which I am being held responsible by various DCA's around the world now.

I have spoken to the police however they refused to provide a crime ref no as they state there is no evidence of a crime being committed. (I disputed this as pretty sure that identity fraud is a crime, but they said that until I could identify the person responsible the would take no action. Pretty sure it's their job to investigate crime but whatever).

It seems ridiculous that someone can simply accrue debt in my name, across the globe & yet nothing is done about it & that I am liable for this? That can't be right? How can i put a stop to this & prove my innocence? I want to stop this as what's to stop this person accruing hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of debt? Which I have read cases of happening. But no one wants to help.

I spoke to the bank but they said since no money is currently missing from my account they cant do anything.

Action fraud don't investigate only record.
    I will alert CIFAS as well but think they only check any credit applications for the UK not globally.

I cant live in fear of opening the mail everyday to god knows how many letters from DCA's & to what value.

Is there a way to resolve/pursue this?

REALLY REALLY WOULD LIKE SOME HELP.
    Tags: None

It’s really horrible when you’re identity is stolen but first and foremost don’t panic. You won’t lose any money and you’re not liable for paying for things you didn’t do. Sadly though you will be getting letters from these DCAs for a while but just bin them. File a report with action fraud in the first instance - the police won’t touch fraud unless you do this. Then speak to Experian’s victim support team who can guide you though making sure your credit record is unaffected. They have a dedicated and helpful team for this. Search Experian identity theft.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X