• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Unfair Penalty Fare Notice - Northern by Arriva (Trains).

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfair Penalty Fare Notice - Northern by Arriva (Trains).

Can anyone please advise I am livid!
    My partner and her daughter today went on a train and boarded in a hurry.
    They were not aware of a ticket inspector/conductor until they were approaching Leeds station.
    My partner then asked the conductor if she could buy a ticket before she left the train.
    The conductor said she couldn’t give her a ticket and directed her to the ticket office.
    Upon approaching the ticket office and asking to buy the tickets a member of the staff was listening into the conversation and told my partner to go and speak to another person who then, along with other staff members crowding around her, bullied her into giving her details and issued her with a £20 fine for herself and another £20 fine for her 13 yr old daughter!
    This is grossly unfair. She asked the conductor for a ticket whilst on the train. The conductor refused to sell her a ticket. This was not a case of deliberate avoidance. In any case, it has always been possible to purchase a ticket at the exit barriers before leaving the station! They told her the fine was for failure to buy a ticket on the train. So the conductor was complicit in telling her to go and buy one at the ticket office!

Does anyone know what the terms and conditions of a fine are and whether or not this is legal?
    There is an advisory section on the fine(s) about appealing.
    What are acceptable mitigating circumstances?

Any advice appreciated.
    Redletter.

I believe the struggle for financial freedom is unfair - I believe the only ones who disagree are millionaires.......(Darren Hayes/Savage Garden)

"Get up at 6 face another day another red letter in the mail-already taken my TV away-whatever I earn there's always more to pay.....Gotta turn these rags to riches turn the pennies into pounds cos right now all my days are bitches and I'm tired of being down!." Copyright Change! (Redletter 2006).
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X