• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Is this statement true please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this statement true please

"The council Tax legislation states that the serving of documents is based on balance of probabilities. This means that the courts are required to accept that documents have been served correctly as long as they were posted to the last known address … "

This concerns a council tax bill and e reminder which the Council claim they have sent which I have not received.

The council issued a summons which they have now withdrawn but have rejected my complaint and compensation claim. Unless they can show proof of postage I shall be taking the matter to the Ombudsman.
    Tags: None

Posted on your other thread.

Hi

This may seem a bit of a strange question, but....
    can you prove that those 2 letters were not delivered?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Yes I saw it, thank you. I am not a regular here and could not login in so posted as a guest. Please ignore the "Guest" thread.

Comment

Originally posted by D P Dance View Post
        "The council Tax legislation states that the serving of documents is based on balance of probabilities. This means that the courts are required to accept that documents have been served correctly as long as they were posted to the last known address … "

This concerns a council tax bill and e reminder which the Council claim they have sent which I have not received.

The council issued a summons which they have now withdrawn but have rejected my complaint and compensation claim. Unless they can show proof of postage I shall be taking the matter to the Ombudsman.
        Council Tax legislation makes no reference to the balance of probabilities, it merely outlines that service is required and what that involves.

Service for council tax documents (pre summons) is organised via s233 of the Local Government Act 1972, as required by the Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regs 1992.

s233 of the Act requires service to the last known address. s7 of the Interpretation Act provides the definition of service for these purposes.
        Where an Act authorises or requires any document to be served by post (whether the expression “serve” or the expression “give” or “send” or any other expression is used) then, unless the contrary intention appears, the service is deemed to be effected by properly addressing, pre-paying and posting a letter containing the document and, unless the contrary is proved, to have been effected at the time at which the letter would be delivered in the ordinary course of post.
        There is no need for the council to prove the documents have been received, only that service has been correctly carried out (delivery is assumed in law unless the contrary is shown). It would need to be demonstrated that the service was incomplete for a defence - in this case you'd need to demonstrate that the documents were not, the onus is on you to do so.
        Last edited by lgfa92; 15th June 2019, 18:03:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lgfa92 View Post

Council Tax legislation makes no reference to the balance of probabilities, it merely outlines that service is required and what that involves.

Service for council tax documents (pre summons) is organised via s233 of the Local Government Act 1972, as required under by the Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regs 1992.

s233 of the Act requires service to the last known address. s7 of the Interpretation Act provide the definition of service for these purposes.

There is no need for the council to prove the documents have been received, only that service has been correctly carried out (delivery is assumed in law unless the contrary is shown). It would need to be demonstrated that the service was incomplete for a defence - in this case you'd need to demonstrate that the documents were not, the onus is on you to do so.
          I said the same on the other thread, re s7
          Only not so well!
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Would a statement under oath to the effect that documents were not received suffice? Two months ago this council quoted to me as law legislation to amend the Housing Act which in fact had not been passed. I complained and the complaint was upheld.

Comment

If the summons has been withdrawn, what are you trying to achieve?

Comment

Obtaining an apology and a small amount of compensation, I am fed up with this incompetent council.

Comment

Very unlikely you will get any compensation, it's given only rarely. I'd doubt you'll get more than an apology, even if you do demonstrate an error on their part.

So far though there is nothing to show that the council have actually made a mistake, you'd need to show that before they'd apologise or pay any compensation, if they were that way minded.

Comment

Very unlikely you will get any compensation,

Not so unlikely, they have paid before..

Comment

A local authority themselves very rarely pays compensation out (in well over a decade of working in council tax I can think of maybe 1 or 2 cases). The LGO may suggest compensation but only in a small number of cases that they actually adjudicate in (and only after it has already gone all the way through the council compliant system).

As it stands you have not demonstrated that that council have failed in their duty - that needs to proven before the LGO would even consider finding in your favour. Only if then find in your favour will they possibly consider instructing compensation.
                      Last edited by lgfa92; 17th June 2019, 12:34:PM.

Comment

Thank you, it has gone through the complaints procedure. I think that they have failed, they think that they have not. It is now up to an adjudicator to decide.

FWIIW, I have won 3 CC cases, and successfully obtained compensation from Santander, NatWest, British Gas, two estate agents, an ex landlord, Amazon, Fiat, Orange and Royal Mail, my confidence is high.

Comment

Compensation?
                          Or was it ex gratia?
                          CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X