• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Company changed its mind re: WITHOUT PREJUDICE OFFER

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company changed its mind re: WITHOUT PREJUDICE OFFER

So I made an offer to settle, WITHOUT PREJUDICE SAVE AS TO COSTS, for £350.

The company made a counter offer to settle for £115, which I rejected.

I then purchased my train tickets for the hearing, at a cost of £65.

Non-refundable.

Then today, a week later, they emailed me to tell me they now accepted my offer.

So my question is, if I send them proof of the train ticket purchase, are they supposed to now cover these costs to, as travel expenses under the WITHOUT PREJUDICE SAVE AS TO COSTS rule, in addition to the £350 offer they've agreed to?

Tags: None

But the counter offer they made amounts to a rejection of the original offer, so you could go back and explain to them the original offer was thereby terminated .
    Make a new offer including your travel costs.

Others might have other suggestions

Comment

Agree with Des.

Explain the fact that they rejected your initial offer and you have now incurred further costs as a result so if they want to settle without the need to go to court, then the new offer is £415 which is made up of the £350 plus the £65 for train ticket.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

On a purely practical basis, would you have accepted £285 (£350-£65) to settle, if they had offered that instead of £115? If so, you may be prepared to compromise over the train ticket, so as to avoid the risk of the court hearing.

I think I'd write to them explaining the issue, without at that stage rejecting their £350 offer. They clearly have looked at this and decided it's not worth fighting, but they may have an upper limit on what they'll pay, and there's no point having a trial if you're only a few pounds apart.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X