• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Steep Cliffs and Public footpaths

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steep Cliffs and Public footpaths

Am I under legal obligation to protect members of the public from cliffs and steep drops on my own property where there is a public footpath leading along the top of the cliffs?
    Tags: None

Hi and welcome

Basic answer is "there is no necessity to warn members of the public about obvious dangers". They are expected to use common sense.
    It is up to users to take care for their own safety; in particular not to go too near cliff edges and not to swim in lakes / rivers. Land owners do not have to rope off or signpost obvious risks.

Comment

Thank you very much for the answer, DES8.

May I also ask, if there was already an existing, dilapidated, barb wire livestock fence along the cliff edge, do I have to maintain or replace it?

Also, I see some conflicting advice. For example, this article:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...urrights.legal

"Contrary to what most people think, homeowners actually owe a duty of care to trespassers to ensure they do not come to any harm, which means if there is a hazard on your property you might reasonably be expected to offer some protection."
      Last edited by fenderjaguar; 30th December 2018, 14:52:PM.

Comment

Section 164 Highways Act 1980, says that where, on land adjoining a highway, there is a fence made with barbed wire in or on it and the wire is a nuisance to the highway, a notice may be issued by the Local Authority for the nuisance to be removed.

If the fence could cause injury to a member of the public you could be held liable.
        Your public liability policy (you do have PL cover?) will almost certainly contain a condition requiring things are kept in good condition.
        If it is your fence (even if it was in poor condition when ownership passed to you) you might need to replace or remove it.
        Would removing it cause a danger to those using the path?

Should we assume that you own land over which a coastal path runs and the seaward edge is bounded by an old stock proof fence?
        Do you still stock the land?
        Where I live (W. Wales) some farmers have moved their fences to the inland edge of the path (to keep their stock away from the public) and left the seaward edge unfenced. (if the public want to jump it's their choice )

Comment

We are inland, not near the coast. The path runs along a very steep valley. The field used to be pasture, but we now use the field exclusively as a meadow, with no livestock in it at all, used only for hay.

If it was me, I would remove the fence. But my dad seems to be under the impression that WE have a duty of care to members of the public, using the public footpath, to keep them from the edge. In my opinion, this is self evidently not true, since where the footpath continues up the valley, all the fences are on the other side of the footpath (like you mention in your last sentence).

Comment

As owner of land to which public have access your father is correct that you have a duty of care.
            However that duty extends only to not doing anything which causes a nuisance (damage) to those on your land.
            So if the fence is capable of causing a nuisance it should be made safe. e.g. wire fixed on side of posts away from path.

You might find useful guidance in Chapter 11 of this file: file:///C:/Users/Others/Downloads/Managing%20Public%20Access.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
              You might find useful guidance in Chapter 11 of this file: file:///C:/Users/Others/Downloads/Managing%20Public%20Access.pdf
              Seems the file is on your computer there. But I searched for it on the internet. Is it this one?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...-7_I84ur8k4Itw

Comment

Yep!
                Sorry if it was my error... not very computer literate!

Comment

My dad and I will argue among ourselves and we will read the document you posted. Thanks very much for your replies, DES8.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X