• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Using the same evidence again against another person

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using the same evidence again against another person

Hello, I have an academic question. It comes from a work dispute, but I am just interested in the legal aspects, i.e. if this were in a court situation.

Say the scenario is this: an anonymous denunciation has been made against someone. Although it is somewhat vague, it is then used as evidence to try and prosecute A. The case against A is built up and court proceedings are launched.

But then the bungling prosecutors realise that they have been misled! The anonymous denunication was so vague and other things suggest... that it now seems that it is B who was the person more likely to be the one (though even here nothing is really holding up).

What would then happen legally? I presume A could sue and the prosecutors would go after B?

But is there any legal point (something like double jeopardy) that would prevent the "evidence" being "recycled" for use against a second person?

I am just asking about the legal point, not for any commentary like "the prosecutors should have been a bit more careful", etc....

Any knowledge would be much appreciated!

Tags: None

By "prosecutors" do you mean the CPS?

I don't see a prosecution following an "anonymous denunciation" as what proof would there be?
    Who would "A" sue if the denunciation was anonymous?
    In any event allegations made to the police benefit from absolute privilege and cannot be used as a cause of action in the civil courts.

Comment

Hi, yes, I mean the CPS. I suppose A would sue the CPS or police... That is just academic anyway and gets away from my question.

There would be proof because the idea would be to get A (or B!) to go to pieces and then provide all the evidence themselves... A is told: there has been a report sent that you have been a very naughty person, you did this and that...

My scenario: The person who wrote the anonymous denunciation will come forward once the police/CPS say: "A has confessed!"

Yes, I know it is all irregular and probably illegal. But the academic question is: can the "anonymous denunciation" (or even not anonymous!) be recycled, even though it was used wrongly against A? Does that rule it out against B?

It may be easier to answer: can ANY evidence/accusation/charge be reused as a charge if it has been applied to the wrong person?

Last edited by Latina; 9th October 2018, 17:40:PM.

Comment

Yes.
        If the police investigate a crime on the basis of information laid against "A" but then it is discovered that it actually applies to "B" and that a crime was committed, the fact that info was originally made against "A" is no reason for not prosecuting "B".
        Why should a criminal not be prosecuted because the evidence was misapplied to the wrong person.
        The evidence is still good

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X