• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Faulty second hand car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faulty second hand car

Hi all

i bought a second hand car last week, took it for a very short test drive which raised no concerns, had a good look over it and all seemed well.

Got home one with it without an issue however the next day went for a short drive and got stuck in a bit of traffic, when coasting to a stop was a touch jittery and when I went to set off although being in drive it was overrevving and had no drive, it was as though it was in neutral, but it wasn’t. Then it suddenly got drive back with a bang and violent lurch, the temp started rising to 110 too when this happened

I had this happen all the way home and has done it again yesterday

there is clearly a major fault with the gearbox

The trader has hand written the following on the receipt
    ”comes with full year MOT”
    ”Buyer fully checked and test driven the car”
    ”Car comes with no warranty or implied”
    and in upper case “SOLD AS SEEN”

i have text text the dealer last yesterday to inform him there were problems with the car however he has not responded

what are my rights with this, the car is unusable.

Tags: None

Was all this extra writing on the receipt AFTER you had paid for the car?

You will probably have a good case under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 in that the goods were not of merchantable quality. You can reject within 30 days without having to submit to a response. Write to the dealer as soon as you can.

Search for "Consumer Rights Act" on the internet, you will find a lot of non legal explanations.

Comment

I had handed the keys over for the car I was part ex-ing and the extra cash required it was at that point that I signed the receipt

Comment

How does it work if we reject the car and they have sold the car we used as part ex ??

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X