• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Voyeurism Stepfather

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voyeurism Stepfather

Last year I discovered a spy camera hidden in my bedroom. My stepfather admitted to putting it there on several occasions to stalk me for sexual gratification. He has been jailed for 8 months, placed on sex offenders register for 10 years & there are indefinite restraining orders against him contacting me, my mother & younger sister. This has been an extremely traumatic time for me, our lives have been turned upside down. My barrister at the time of sentencing, prompted me to seek financial compensation from the monster. However, I have contacted several legal firms who have refused to take on my case as the crime was not violent / physical. Please can anyone help with suggestions. Thank you
    Tags: None

Sorry to hear of your dreadful experience.
    That must have been a very upsetting time for you and all your family, and I hope you are now rebuilding your lives.

I assume the solicitors have declined to assist as, being a non violent crime, the criminal injuries board would not pay compensation, and it is possible your step father is not in a position to pay compensation either.
    This leaves you with the possibility of suing him yourself, but if you should win compensation you still have the problem of enforcing the judgment if he has no assets.

Tagging atticus and dslippy as they possibly have more insight into this sort of situation

Comment

I have no useful experience or insight. I can only suggest 2 things.

First, contact your barrister and ask if he or someone in his chambers can recommend a suitable solicitor.

Second, contact the Law Society for a recommendation of suitable firms in your area.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

A firm acting in such a matter has to be confident that if it wins, there will be the money to pay the damages and costs. A private individual is unlikely to have the insurance to pay.

This also affects the OP directly - what use is an empty judgment.

Add to that, that whilst we can all perhaps imagine the distress, that distress is at second remove. A claim for personal injury normally requires a physical injury. This has been extended to cases of shock from seeing the direct consequences of an act causing injury to a near one. By definintion however here, any trauma comes much later than the act itself. It comes on learning that he has been watching.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X