• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Husband's Alleged Adult Son

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Husband's Alleged Adult Son

My husband has asked me to post this so I'm posting in the Men's Board - putting names in to make it read easier but these are false.

Many years before we met, my husband (Bob) was in a relationship with a young woman (I'll call her Sarah) of the same age who had a child (James). Bob was aware of James had been born but at no time did Sarah tell Bob that he was the James father. Sarah got in touch with Bob again after James had reached the age of 18-ish to say he was James father after all and that she had not told him previously as she had been too scared as she had been in a relationship where she was a victim of dv. Rightly or wrongly, Bob denied paternity and there has never been any contact between him and James.

Now thinking about wills, Bob has had a will drawn up for several years but is concerned that James could make a claim on his estate when he died. Does there need to be a specific clause in the will that James is excluded, there isn't at the moment so he's just wanting clarification re this and whether it needs altering.

Tags: None

Just to add, Bob doesn't think that James is his son re what he knows of what went on but when Sarah contacted him DNA testing wasn't cheap/freely available (if at all), this was maybe 15-20 years ago so there's no confirmation re whether he is or isn't.

Comment

If someones Will is to specifically exclude someone, then there should be a record of that and the reasons give, In this case, the reasons would be that a claim has been made of paternity which is denied and reasons given, but making it clear that the person making the Will does not wish the 'claimed son' to inherit.

You would be better speaking with a solicitor as this is an important matter.

Comment

I have excluded certain family members from my will just in case they "crawl out of the woodwork" one day after no contact for many years...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X