• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Change of surname

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change of surname

Hello,

New here and hope I am posting to the right area, with the correct etiquette. I am happy for this post to be deleted if this is the case.

For the last 4 years I have battled constantly to have more contact with my two children who now are 7 & 6. A conclusion came 2 months ago when I decided to call it a day and conceded to all the demands from the ex, I could see the ongoing litigation was damaging our children. Additionally, I had a newborn with my current partner and it wasn't fair to them. It wasn't too bad come the end as my ex did decide to give me additional time as I think reality struck whereby she wouldn't get so much lone time. On top of this, very faintly our relationship was slightly improved which is saying a lot considering the last 4 years.

Recently however, my ex has dropped a bombshell. She is due to marry, something which I knew a year ago, and now wants to change the children's surname to include her new marriage name (mine-hers) I am completely against this idea and suggested that I didn't mind her maiden name to be added but not of her new husbands name.
    She has suggested court action and so this leads me to ask - What is the likely hood of her winning this or am I just best off consenting and have less drama?

If you need any more back ground information I will be happy to supply.

Many thanks for any help possible as this is very important to me.
    Tags: None

Can anybody help? have I put this in to the wrong area of the forum?

Comment

Hi - sorry you have not had a reply - I am "criminal" not "family" so cannot really help but I think a quick chat with a good family solicitor would help you decide what to do. You can then make the decision as to whether it is worth the cost and stress of court. This could possibly be FOC or if not it would be a relatively small amount of money well spent. I hope someone does come along and advise.

Comment

I realise this post is quite old now but doesn’t the ex need the other parent’s permission to change the children’s names? And if not, can you apply for a child arrangements order for prohibited steps? ie prohibiting her from changing their name? I hope you got a decent outcome anyway

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X