• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Life interest / right to remain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life interest / right to remain

This is a slightly odd one -

I've met someone and we're talking about getting married. She's in the process of buying a house, and ultimately will be the one paying for it, as she currently owns a property (I'm divorced and don't) and she will be paying off the mortgage with an inheritance she expects in a couple of years.

We've discussed property rights, and I've suggested that as I will only be paying a small part of the mortgage each month (about £500) that its entirely fair I have no claim on the property. I'd end up reclaiming what I paid, plus some additional cash if the house increases in value. I'm fine with that.

However, she's concerned about protecting her children's property rights and so would only want me to stay in the property for a limited time if she died, and should start a new relationship, I would have to leave immediately. So - in effect, if she died before me I might be made homeless after - say - two years.

Her argument is that we haven't been together very long and so leaving me in possession of an £800,000 property seems a bit premature. I understand that, but I'm not sure whether an arrangement like this is standard, or whether it's more usual for a partner to be left with the right to live in the family property. I'm 57 and so need to think a bit more carefully about this than many people would.

Tags: None

This was posted on 1st June 2021 if you still need an answer please say below.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X