• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

divorce & Spousal Maintenance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• divorce & Spousal Maintenance

Good evening,

I need some help please. i have been seperated from my husband for just over 2 years now. He walked out on me and my son (not his) and moved in with his now fiance....

We had a joint mortgage with a secured loan against it, which after he left i could no longer afford to keep, and i agreed to give the keys back to the morgage company as it was in negative equity. He agreed to this and signed the forms.... Once the house had been repossessed, myself and my son moved back to our home town, and had to rent a property...

In January last year he declared himself bankrupt and i knew nothing about it, until i received a phone call from the morgage company advising that i was liable for the shortfall in the mortgage as our property had been sold. I had no alternative but to declare myself bankrupt that year as well.... Due to this i was unable to get any credit or anything to help me support myself and my son. I am still in bankruptcy at the moment, though my husband has been discharged. I have since found out that since his mother died in March this year, he has inherited from her and has now bought a new property. I did not want to declare myself bankrupt i wanted to do an IVA, but i had no choice because of him, and i was wondering, if i file for the divorce would i be able to claim any money from him. For a lot of the time that we were married, i had to support him as he was off work sick for nearly a whole year, and when he did go back to work it was part time..... I don't want to have to pay high solicitor fees for a divorce when i can do it online myself, but what do i have to do regarding getting some help from him with regards to money..

Am i entitled to anything from him, or would it be better to just get the divorce finished and forget about any kind of help from him.....

Myself and my son gave up everything when i met him, and moved to the other end of the country because he wanted to...

Would appreciate any advice you could give ,me

thanks
    carol
    Tags: None

Re: divorce & Spousal Maintenance

Hi Caz

As I understand it, there is a responsiblity on the married and even the no-longer-married to support each other in the event of extreme inequity. Your ex's good fortune since your separation would most probably be taken into account in any divorce settlement. If you can get legal advice either cheaply or for free it would be a good idea IMHO.

See here: http://www.nationalprobonocentre.org.uk/

and here http://www.resolution.org.uk/ for some resources that might be helpful.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X