• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Consent order transfer of property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consent order transfer of property

I am going through a divorce process, it’s mainly DIY due to cost. I have to apply for a conditional order at the end of sept but in the meantime I need to pay for a consent order.

we’ve agreed that because I will have the children full time the family home should transfer to me, he keeps the pension and discharge of a large debt to me.

In practice I can’t take on the mortgage as my income is not high enough…any suggestions on what can be done instead? I was wondering about a trustee deed? Also is the consent order still legally binding even if I haven’t been able to transfer the property to my name or will he still own the property despite the consent order?

Thanks for any help
    Tags: None

The mortgage will have to be paid. Have you and your ex discussed this? Or is it just an elephant sitting in the room and being ignored?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

I can and will pay it (its been agreed between us), but am unable to get a mortgage due to a shortfall in income. I don't want to start paying it (i was already paying my income towards mortgage and bills so technically also a beneficiary i think?) if my ex can then sell the house and keep proceeds as I've been unable to transfer it into my name, even though the consent order should provide for that IYSWIM

Would a trustee deed prevent that? so I can start making payments to the mortgage knowing that the consent order and trustee document would protect my interest.

He is keeping the pensions and also is being relieved of a large debt to me in exchange

Comment

I see. I strongly recommend professional advice and assistance in preparing and agreeing a document that will protect your position.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

You should speak to a good mortgage broker
          If your future ex is agreeable to paying towards a mortgage to prevent his children from becoming homeless, then remortgaging with a tenants in common mortgage may be a possibility. You should make sure you have life tenancy
          If your financial situation changes or interest rates fall you might be able to buy your ex's share (which doesn't have to be 50%)

Comment

So a trustee deed isn’t the best route then? Thanks I will look into tenants in common.

This has just put me in mind of the other issue, remortgaging now will cost over an extra £1000pm as it was fixed on a low rate until 2027. It’s so messy. Thanks I will look into all my options

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X