• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Choosing A Solicitor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing A Solicitor

I have approached a well known Family Law firm to assist with my divorce and have been allocated a Solicitor by them. I am due to have my first meeting with her next week. Having looked at both my own and my 'almost' ex's Solicitors online I have found that his Solicitor has 27 years experience in family law. Whereas mine was a paralegal until Jan 21 and has worked at the firm as a Solicitor part time since then.
    Should I be concerned by this or will she have the experience of her firm behind her.
    Tags: None

A paralegal may have acquired considerable experience before qualifying, and should have continued support from the practice.

And she should might charge rather less.

Comment

Are the financial, property and child-related aspects of the divorce likely to be complicated?

Of course, the more you can agree, with the benefit of advice, the better.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

We've been separated for around 18 years. I stayed in the matrimonial home and brought up the children. Ex has not made any financial contribution since separation. No child support, maintenance, mortgage payments, property maintenance etc. In effect he simply disappeared. The mortgage term has now ended and he wants 'his half'. The boys are still at home with me but are obviously now adults. I feel it is going to be a stressful negotiation. I do understand that every solicitor will say we have to start at 50/50, but I'd still like to know they are equipped to do their best for me and fight my corner.

Comment

I cannot see why 50-50 should be the starting position when you have been paying the mortgage and all outgoings for 18 years. I disagree that every solicitor would see the starting point as being 50-50 in those circumstances.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

I totally agree, which is why I've changed from my original choice of solicitor who didn't seem to be up for a bit of a battle. I'll give the new lady a try and see how I feel after the first meeting. Thank you so much for responding.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X