• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Moving house and childs school - but partner has objected to school move.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving house and childs school - but partner has objected to school move.

I am currently in the process of moving to live with my partner, my ex partner (and children's dad) was informed and has called the local authority to object to the move and block the application, and I am now in a difficult situation as I can't move their schools, but I'm about to leave the area - I've handed in notice on my current house, sold most of the furniture, and have no intention of staying...

The ex partner and children's dad has no parental rights due to domestic violence, but has a few hours of supervised access per week - but basically overnight stays etc are not allowed, he can't pick them up or take them to school alone etc - his parents basically have to do this for him (with my agreement, his parents are his supervisors) so he does still see the kids.

The move is only 30-ish minutes away, so nothing major - I'm not moving to the other side of the world. His family and him all have cars but regardless of that, I've offered to help wherever possible in dropping the kids off to him/his grandparents to limit the impact of fuel costs etc (they would pick them and drop them to school 1 day a week - and 2 days a week every other week).

I'm trying to be as amicable as possible, but I feel like (despite us being separated for several years now) - he is still very much controlling and dictating key decisions in my life! How do I get this resolved and move on with my life, get out of the area and have my kids in a happy situation!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Tags: None

What does the Child Arrangements Order say about with whom the children are to live? Have you made the local authority aware of its terms?

I am wondering whether they may have overstepped the mark in acceding to the father's requests.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
      What does the Child Arrangements Order say about with whom the children are to live? Have you made the local authority aware of its terms?
      I am wondering whether they may have overstepped the mark in acceding to the father's requests.
      Thanks for the reply.
      The CAO says they reside with mum, and nan (on his side) is a suitable supervisor - it doesn't contain specifics on what school they go to.

The LA seem to be looking specifically for a mention of what school they must go to, and without it they expect me to take it to court..... from what my solicitor has advised, there's a substantial backlog to do that (and also advised it's likely to cost a substantial amount - several thousands potentially.... and apparently I can't represent myself as the case has a criminal background to the previous case?

Comment

Maybe seek mediation, a third party can provide an independent evaluation for what's in the best interest of the child. It's easy to get into 'tunnel vision' mode when there's an 'under current' of emotions etc. When you have a group of people sitting around a table (might need to be virtual), a lot of the time, things get resolved.

Comment

Nobody has parental rights, but both parents have parental responsibility. His ability to have contact can be limited.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X