• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Financial settlement on house (not married/no children) advice needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Financial settlement on house (not married/no children) advice needed

I need some legal advice. Me and my partner have recently split up after 11 years. We have lived in our current house for the last 7 years. We weren't married and the house mortgage is in my name only. Haven't got any children either. Also I got help of my parents to get the house to start with. Also they have put quite a bit into refurbishments for me.

Me and my ex are still really good friends and am trying my hardest to keep it that way.

Though she has obviously brought up the question of what is she entitled to out of the house. Now she has said she isn't going to be horrible about it and go the hard way. I asked her what she was thinking and she said 5k. So we have agreed on that.

My question is before handing over the money should I get some sort of contract written out for her to sign saying she has no further financial interest in the house. Also maybe a witness/es. Is there anything else I should consider?

I have done alot to the house off my own back just to add by the way.

I contacted a solicitor and they wanted £200 plus vat to just see me for an appointment. I wouldn't mind if it was a one off payment but I'm not forking out £200 each time I see them. Or is it the only way?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much
    Tags: None

Good advice has a value. Good advice requires knowledge of the full story, which we clearly d not have here.

I would also suggest that in your situation, certainty also has a value.

You are entitled to discuss fees with the solicitor, and to agree an appropriate limit.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you. Yes I understand good advice has a value but not everyone can afford it. I thought you could have brief discussion with a solicitor on a free of charge basis.

You day I haven't given enough information. What else should I say.

Thanks

Comment

What else should you say? The things you know that I don't! A conversation with a solicitor will often include follow up questions, arising from the answers that you give: you never know where these things will lead.

Such questions might include the contributions (financial and possibly non-financial) made by your ex.

I suggest that you have a fees conversation with a solicitor - possibly more than one.
        Last edited by atticus; 7th June 2022, 09:39:AM.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X