• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Is it true……..?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it true……..?

Hi folks. I own my own home. No mortgage. I was thinking of asking my partner to move in with me. Is it true that if she were only to contribute to household bills such as utilities, council tax etc. and not improvements that if things didn’t work out that she couldn’t stake a claim on a percentage of the property?

Linked to this question, if the answer to the above is “yes, that is correct”, what time the balance where she could stake a claim? I imagine if it home improvement, but what about maintenance, say for example a carpet needs replacing?

I know I may seem seem like a miser, asking these questions. But I have been through 2 divorces and it has cost me a lot and I have worked hard to get back on track. I do love my partner, but I just want to ring-fence that which is mine, if she were to move in.

Thank you in advance.

Mark
    Tags: None

Yes she can claim some of your assets. Depends how long she stays

Comment

Even though she isn’t contributing to any maintenance or improvements?

How do I avoid this then? Make her sign a tenancy agreement? On that point how come tenants cannot lay a claim on a percentage of their landlords property?

Comment

poor partner sorry but are you genuine in wanting them to move in??? weems you are not sure.

Comment

4 years ago my wife left me after being married for 21 years. It was a costly divorce. I love my new partner, but have to protect myself from being financially crippled again. I don’t think it is too much to ask my partner, who has contributed nothing towards my house to pay half of the running costs. I don’t see how this can entitle her to a share of the property should things go wrong.

Comment

Let your own house off to tenants, you keep the rental money. Rent another house for you and your new partner and split the rent and living costs (or you move into her house). If it doesn't work out, you give notice to quit to your tenants and move back in. Simples.

Comment

Your partner moves in with you, fine.
              She gives up her own home and may obtain occupation rights via a beneficial interest.
              The law is complicated.

Probably your best way will be for her to sign a declaration stating there is no intention for her to gain a beneficial interest (but she might question your sincerity!)

This of course might leave her homeless in the event you predecease her and your relatives claim the property.
              If you write a will leaving the house to her, that might be used to show an intention for her to obtain a beneficial interest if you should break up.

As you seem genuinely concerned perhaps you should seek professional advice before inviting her to stay.

Comment

Just a thought - could she be a lodger? It would be legitimate for her to contribute to household bills but gain no interest in the property...might be a difficult conversation but if she loves you she will understand at this early stage. A year down the line she may wish to change things of course...

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
                  Just a thought - could she be a lodger? It would be legitimate for her to contribute to household bills but gain no interest in the property...might be a difficult conversation but if she loves you she will understand at this early stage. A year down the line she may wish to change things of course...
                  Does a lodger require a formal arrangement i.e. signed paperwork? Currently she rents, and has done so for the last 20 years, so technically she would be no worse off.

Comment

Sorry, but cannot see how your partner could be your lodger..
                    Anything paid towards household expenses is exactly that - a payment towards shared household expenses, not rent.

A cohabitation agreement might be a way forward

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X