• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Inherited and gifted wealth

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inherited and gifted wealth

Hi,

I am separating from my wife and are now looking at a divorce situation.
    Most of our financial assetts were either gifted or inherited from my side.
    The property we have is in both names. We have both worked over the years
    but I have been the higher earner.
    One third of the money was put in my wife's names to help with taxation i.e. ISA and capital gains etc. etc.

My question is does this mean that assets that were passed in my wife's name would now stay hers regardless
    of the fact that they were inherited and or gifted on my side?

We have no children.

Regards,

Tags: None

Not my field of expertise but I would think your thinking is correct.

des8

Comment

Not my field either, but my understanding is that the courts start on a 50/50 split of all assets, then begin to take into account other factors such as each parties earning capacity
      Have a look at the applicable parts of the Matrimonial Causes Act 1973 and the Civil Partnership Act 2004 for starters

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X