• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ex refusing to let me back in property if I leave

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex refusing to let me back in property if I leave

Hi all
    I was married for 20 years. Had three kids 21, 17 and 14. Jointly owned a property. Both names on mortgage and deeds. I divorced him, unreasonable behaviour. Did the divorce online. Remortgaged property so had some money which I took to try and start again. No written agreements. My daughter and i moved into a rented flat and then into a new partners property. Sadly it didn't work out.
    My ex allowed my daughter and I back to the house. I have started to look for a rental again. He has now turned nasty. He says I'm free to leave the house, to go outside, however the minute I step outside he will not allow me back inside.
    I spent days not leaving. My daughter begged him could I accompany her for a walk. He allowed it
    What are my rights? I'm moving heaven and earth to get a rental sorted but it'll be a few weeks. He keeps screaming that he wants me out and if I leave he won't let me back in. I ask what will happen when I return He says wait and see. He send me pictures of locks via texts to show me He can buy equipment to change the locks. He says it's his house and he doesn't care about the police. I'm scared and frightened.
    My ex boyfriend has asked repeatedly to see me and I'm just not able to see him or friends. I can't leave due to fear of not being able to get back in. If I had somewhere else to go I would. Please help
    Tags: None

Hi ROSIEPOSEY

The most important thing is your and your daughters safety. I don't think you or your daughter are in a safe environment. Your ex by the sounds of it is 'very controlling and intimidating'. You need to remove yourself from that environment, so your ex can't indulge in his 'mind games', which isn't good for your or your daughters well-being.

Most people aren't scared of the until they actually turn up. Call the police if you feel 'unsafe'. But you should definitely call Refuge and they should be able to find a safe place for you and your daughter to stay for however long you need.

https://www.nationaldahelpline.org.uk/

Comment

Thanks so much! Will they help me even though I have my name on this property? I'm legally a home owner. I'm so scared to do anything incase it makes him worse. He says it's my fault because I came back to the property and I've caused this.

Comment

Originally posted by RosiePosey View Post
        Thanks so much! Will they help me even though I have my name on this property? I'm legally a home owner. I'm so scared to do anything incase it makes him worse. He says it's my fault because I came back to the property and I've caused this.
        They should, it's the behavior of your ex and your and your daughter's safety which is why Refuge should help.
        Last edited by echat11; 16th August 2021, 17:31:PM.

Comment

It would seem that you are a guest in the property.
          You have been asked to leave and you have refused to do so.

Unless you can prove that you have the right to occupy the property i.e. you are not a guest, you are a trespasser and reasonable force can be used to eject you from the premises.

Comment

Originally posted by efpom View Post
            It would seem that you are a guest in the property.
            You have been asked to leave and you have refused to do so.

Unless you can prove that you have the right to occupy the property i.e. you are not a guest, you are a trespasser and reasonable force can be used to eject you from the premises.
            The thing is that he doesn't want her to leave (if she leaves she can't re-enter). She also has a 14 daughter who she is responsible for and taking care of.

Comment

Posts 1 & 3 suggest the OP is joint owner of the property, and so has a right to live there.

Unfortunately the joint owner (her ex) seems to be a right b*****d.

I would suggest looking for a refuge and then taking legal action to obtain a court order for sale of the property to recover any beneficial interest she may have

Comment

Thanks everyone!

I am the joint legal owner of the property. My name is on the deeds and mortgage. I have had a brief chat with a solicitor today, another booked for tomorrow. She has confirmed I am entitled to be here.

Sorry I'm not sure how to reply separately but the person who suggested I was a guest is mistaken! Legal joint owner yes. Guest no.

I am in the process of arranging a rental property as he is incapable of behaving in a calm manner and my daughter and I can't stay here. I'll let the solicitor deal with him now!

Comment

I wish you well

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X