• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ex wife’s mum threatening court?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex wife’s mum threatening court?

I’m unsure where I stand here. Me and my ex wife had a real bad separation her mum originally paid for our wedding with the verbal agreement that me and my wife at the time would pay back the money 50:50 together. Now when we separated I got a barage of abuse telling me I have to pay the whole lot back etc etc there’s never been any signed contract or loan written up either when she first paid for this.
    Anyhow we got a divorce and before and after the divorce I
    Have been paying back what I can per month and have missed months where I cannot pay it but I’ve paid around half of this back now. Which I think is fair as was verbally agreed and wasn’t ever in writing. Now I’m on an IVA I’m also expecting a baby with my partner this year so money is super tight. Now because I said I am not paying anymore theyre threatening solicitors and court. Now would they have a leg to stand on here because if it went down that route my only option is to claim bankruptcy as I honestly couldn’t afford it and my baby and my family will be coming first. Not my ex wife and her mum.
    Tags: None

It won't be for you to prove you don't owe the money, but for them to prove you do.

Without anything written down...........

Comment

I think the only thing they may get is bank statements showing me paying money monthly but that was only as I was intending to pay half which was paid. But there’s nothing written in writing. There’s no amount specified anywhere there’s no contract. I think the fact I’ve paid half is enough my ex should pay her mum The rest back not me

Comment

THey would be on a looser if you agreed 50% and you have already achieved it! would be viewed as harassment due to events by court maybe?

Comment

There’s nothing with anything in writing whatsoever about who is paying what back as such the original agreement was we was both paying it back as we split I’ve paid 50 percent which I believe is reasonable and that’s all I’m going to pay.

Comment

Just sit back and await developments, but try and get copies of Bank statements just in case it goes to Court, at least you will have evidence that you have paid.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X