• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ex hasn't paid mortgage for 10 years

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex hasn't paid mortgage for 10 years

Me and my ex partner split in 2012.
    He was working abroad at the time and was having an affair. When he returned to the UK he was married and expecting a child with this other women. He moved into a property with her.

He hasn't paid any payments towards the mortgage since then. He pays child maintenence for our son to me only.
    When we bought the property we put down a joint deposit of £20,000.

When he went abroad to work we were still together. He had control of all our finances. And he stopped paying the mortgage on our property. So when we separated I had mortgage arrears to pay plus the mortgage.

My ex partner was a very controlling and abusive man. I didn't have control over my own money and he even took out credit in my name.
    ​​​​​​I have no proof of this it's just to give u a picture of the type of person he is.

When he left I had a substantial amount of debt in my name. So I had to file for a trust deed/iva to pay them off. Hence why I didn't try and change the mortgage as I didn't think I would be able to.

I now want to sell the property. I have been in contact with a solicitor who has told me he may still be entitled to half the equity in the property. Unless a court orders otherwise.

I have sent him an offer of equity split. Which means he would get roughly £25,000. This is more than he would of received if we had sold the property in 2012 when we separated.

Half equity minus - half of the payments which I paid for him.

He has been to a solicitor about this offer and I am waiting for his response. My solicitor has already told me if he was representing him he would tell him to go for half the property. So I am not holding out much hope.

I was just wondering if anyone had any similar success stories of this having going to the courts.
    Or any advice

Thanks in advance

Tags: None

Also:
    House was bought in 2007 (Oct) so he only contributed to 4 years of mortgage payments

Comment

Hi Luna2319,
      sorry to hear about your issues - did you ever resolve this? I ask as my Daughter is going through a similar scenario at the moment. I’ve only just joined this site hence the time delay

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X