• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

If son lives in my house rent free, could this affect divorce/separation settlement.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If son lives in my house rent free, could this affect divorce/separation settlement.

I'm planning for the future and trying to prevent damaging future possibilities. I’m thinking about retiring overseas in 6 years. I was hoping to allow my son and his partner to live in my house rent free because it's much larger than the home they recently bought and they really like it here. They currently have no children together but I expect that children and marriage are a very real possibility in the next several years.
    My question is this please. If they were to live in my house rent free and then get divorced or separate, is it possible that a court might look at the situation like "he doesn't need a home because he's living in one rent free" and then not give him half or a decent share of the home that they currently own together?
    If I needed to come back home to live I'd hate to be forced to have to live with my son because his financial viability had been removed by a damaging divorce or separation settlement. Maybe I'd have to rethink my plan is that's a possible scenario.
    Many thanks to any who contribute.
    Tags: None

I assume they would rent out the home they currently live in while they were living in your house rent free?

Comment

I'm so sorry for u...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X