• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. If this is your first visit to LegalBeagles and you need assistance then you can ask a question here;
    Create a Thread
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

I need a divorce but it's confusing

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I need a divorce but it's confusing

    Hi Everyone,

    Thank you for taking the time to read through my complicated situation.

    I was got married to my daughters father in 2014, unfortunately we separated in 2016.
    I want a divorce and I have started the process by sending the first set of papers to the court. The main issue is that he is in Nigeria, I don't think the documents got to him due to the postal service.
    So I sent him a copy on whatsapp and he said ok (though he often changes his mind about the divorce). I sent a copy of his message on whatsapp to the courts as proof that he has seen the documents, but the court refused my evidence. Please could somebody tell me why.

    I don't know what to do next. Please could someone advise me on what I can do next.

    P.S. I thought about waiting 5 years but there are businesses I want to start but I don't want to with him attached to my name. Plus I really just want to get rid of his surname.
    Tags: None

  • #2
    You don't get to pick and choose how you serve the court documents, there are rules for that very reason otherwise it would be chaos. You need permission to serve the court documents outside of the jurisdiction of England and Wales by post. You also need permission to serve them by Whatsapp too.

    Did you not ask the court why they refused, surely that's the first thing anyone would do?*

    Check out some useful guides below

    A guide to voluntary termination
    Seting aside a CCJ
    Completing an N180 Form (Courtesy of Jaguarsuk)

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Some of the content I post may include example wording, letters, or other similar responses but they are intended purely for informational and educational purposes. Using some or all of the content I post may fail to meet your needs that is specific to your situation. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice and you can do this through the Law Society's Find a Solicitor database, by contacting your local Citizen's Advice Bureau or legal advice centres such as LawWorks. You may also be able to seek legal advice from your local university who may run a free (but limited) legal advice clinic to members of the public.


    • #3
      Thank you for your helpful response. How would I go about asking why they refused?
      And how would I obtain this permission? What is the process?


      • #4
        I can advise you to call him and record your conversation on the recorder. Ask him about the divorce again. All you need is his verbal approval. Good luck to you! Do not worry!


        • #5
          So you are giving US advice on a UK site?**


          View our Terms and Conditions

          LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

          If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

          If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.




          Find family law specialists that offer fixed fee services on our sister site, JustBeagle...

          justbeagle screenshot

          Find a Law Firm NOW

          See more
          See less

          Court Claim ?

          Guides and Letters

          Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

          Find a Law Firm