• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Divorce in absentia.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorce in absentia.

Hi. I'm looking for some advice about getting a divorce when you have no idea where your ex-partner lives. I've been separated for well over five years and have been trying to track down my ex-husband to initiate divorce proceedings but he has disappeared. I've spoken to a number of in laws and friends but no one has a clue as he has severed contact with all of them. I'm fairly certain that he lives somewhere abroad but where, I have no idea. I did visit citizens advice and they did help a bit but didn't seem to know too much other than I don't need his agreement because of being separated over five years and that I needed to provide evidence that I had tried to find him. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Tags: None

Hi,

The citizens advice information is correct, you are still able to apply for a divorce without your ex-husbands consent. However, it can unfortunately be quite time-consuming and pricey.
    If you read the information herehttps://www.gov.uk/divorce-missing-husband-wife you can see the steps you would need to take to try and contact them/show how you have tried to contact them.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...the-respondent*
    Here is the form you would need to fill out to proceed with separation proceedings without having presented your partner with the relevant papers.However, you will need to prove that you have taken reasonable steps to serve your ex-husband the papers (if you've already started talking to in-laws and friends it seems you are on the right path, although, it may be worth taking further steps like contacting their last known employer) the first link goes into more detail on this.

I hope this was helpful and that you manage to resolve this unfortunate situation.
    I am a law student undertaking work experience on the LegalBeagles forum. My advice is from my own experience only and is given without liability. If in any doubt, please contact a regulated and insured legal professional to seek further advice.

Comment

Thanks so much for your help .

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X