• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

advice on partners share of property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice on partners share of property

Hi,

My mum has been married to my step father for over 20 years, she divorced prior to this and with her part of the divorce settlement put a deposit down on a new home. The house has always been in my mothers name and my step father has never been on the deeds etc. The mortgage is now paid in full.
    My Step father now wants to release equity from the house. My mum does not want to do this. Does my step father have any right to the house at all? My mum is considering divorcing my step father as she has been extremely unhappy for the past 15 years but she is scared to do so as she is not sure what my step fathers rights are. Is he entitled to half of the house?

Many Thanks
    Tags: None

The good news is your step father will not be able to release any equity from the property if it is solely registered in your mother's name.
    Without her agreement it just won't be possible.

regarding any claim he may have to an interest in the property if there was a divorce, I don't know, although others here probably do.
    I suspect part of the answer will be if there was any intention for him to have an interest, and whether or not he contributed to the mortgage repayments

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X