• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Splitting Equity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitting Equity

Hi,

My name is Julie I’m new I hope someone can help!

I bought a house with my now ex-husband in 2007 just before the recession hit.

We split up due to a violent episode (him) and the house was in negative equity. I applied and was granted a divorce but as the property was in negative equity (Northern Rock) was told debt was not part of the divorce it was just 50/50.

I continued to pay the mortgage on my own until June 2016 after which I rented the house out. My ex husband paid nothing at any point including the deposit and as the house was in negative equity I wasn’t in a position to sell or remortgage with my sole income.

I want to convert the mortgage to a BTL as NR are offloading debts and not offering further products due to their demise. They are aware the property is rented and have done nothing.

The rental income is £200 less than the mortgage, so does this count as a contribution on his part?
    He has asked in the past to remove his name but I was unable to due to affordability checks and I didn’t want to sell due to the significant investment on my part.

He now wants money for his share, how do I work this out without involving the courts?
    thanks in advance,
    BB
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X