• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

What are my rights?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are my rights?

After 16 years of marriage my wife has called time. I have moved out of the family home at her request. With no hope of reconciliation or counselling (her choice, not mine), she has offered to 'buy me off' and give me a lump sum to walk away, sign my name off the deeds and pay nothing except child maintenance for our two children (12 and 14).
    We bought our current 4 bed detached home in 2017 having upsized from a modest 3 bed semi. She put in a large chunk of equity from an inheritance she had received a few years earlier and we bought our new home taking our existing mortgage with us which is less than £30k. Assuming our house is worth at least what we paid for it in 2017, she has suggested she halves its value, less half the mortgage and then give me half of what's left. For a house worth at least £470k she would give me about £148k!
    Various people have suggested that regardless of what money she funded our house move with, at the time this would be classed as joint marital assets and its as much mine as it is hers. I can understand if she inherited her thousands after we separated then I would not be entitled to any of it.
    She earns more than I, works full time and would have no financial worries. All I want is half our property's value to be able to start again. I'm not interested in claiming anything else from her. We have no joint debts other than mortgage and household living expenses. I don't want any of her money she has tucked away in her own bank accounts. I think I've been offered a bit of a raw deal and just want to know what my basic rights are.
    Tags: None

Normally 50/50 on joint assets. Suggest that the property is valued and negotiate from there.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X