• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Wrong name on divorce application

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong name on divorce application

I have applied online for divorce and it's been granted initially however I have since found out my ex wife has changed her name back to her maiden name by deed poll without telling me. Will this be an issue?
    Tags: None

Peridot

as the marriage certificate would have married name that would be it I would think, await for above to pop in

Comment

Hi Romeowhiskey4,

So do you have your Decree Nisi already? I assume when you applied you had no idea of the name change so you signed the statement of truth on the divorce petition believing the information you gave was correct at that time? Did your ex acknowledge receipt of the petition? I would suggest that it's up to her to demonstrate the name she is known by if she changed it, particularly if she has acknowledged the petition that was issued in her married name.

If not then you can contact the Court and let them know, however would it be correct to say that you are sure she has changed her name by deed poll. Maybe she is just using a different name and has taken no steps to do this formally as yet? Bank accounts, passport etc may still be in her married name?

If she has officially changed her name it would be for her to prove her new name not for you to speculate about whether she has or not I suppose. She would have to provide her change of name Deed to the Court to show what she is known by. It may be that an amendment would be needed to the petition but if the petition has been acknowledged by her, I would suggest it is up to her to get the nisi amended if needs be.

I will do a little more searching to see if I can find a definitive answer and post back if I come across anything.
      Last edited by Peridot; 17th December 2018, 11:47:AM. Reason: added another thought.
      I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X