• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

non-payment of child maintenance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• non-payment of child maintenance

Good evening.
    My partner got divorced in 2010, and the court ordered her now ex-husband to pay maintenance, and to also repay £5000 in respect of a loan. He paid maintenance for a period of approx a year and then stopped paying. This was a court order and My partner hasn't received a penny for 7 years, nor has the £5000 been paid. Please is anyone able to help advise how she would go about sorting this out, as she has the court paperwork and can evidence the lack of maintenance payments. Unfortunately the account that was used initially was closed some time ago so that area of proof is a little more tricky, but I hope the bank would have archive statements for the period?
    Tags: None

Hi D1NOW,
    So she has received no payments for the last 7 years approximately? The only way to enforce this would be through the Courts but I would have concerns over the length of time she has left it to deal with the issue. Has there been no attempts to get him to pay previously?
    I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

Hi. Yes she did approach a solicitor some time ago and they said that if it was over a year then the court order isnt worth the paper its written on. She and the kids suffered all sorts of abuse from the ex-husband and she has always been quite scared of him. I however, am not!
      surely a court order doesn't just last a year?

Comment

She has also approached the csa and even though he is worth a couple of million quid he seems untouchable.

Comment

How old are the children now? I haven't heard that an order is only valid for a year, however leaving it in abeyance for so long isn't really going to help her I'm afraid.
          Why are CSA not helping or is he the creative type over his income etc so they can't find any cash so to speak?
          It may be that a Court application is the only way and I suspect your partner would have to justify the timescale for making the application quite ferociously drawing on fact there has been abuse and her fear of pursuing I suspect. There may be others along who could give some suggestions here but I suspect it will be a case of getting some face to face legal advice from a family lawyer. Maybe a free initial interview just to see whether it is worth pursuing this further or whether she has to let it go I'm afraid.
          Do pop back on if there is any more info and if you seek some face to face advice to let us know how you get on.
          I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

Hi. I will show her your reply and see whether she has the strength to go further. Thank you.

Comment

And he is a liar, so the csa haven't been able to do anything apparently..

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X