• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Legal rights for divorcing abusive husband who has been sectioned

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal rights for divorcing abusive husband who has been sectioned

Writing on behalf of my sister.

Firstly, some history to the case. My sister has been married to her husband for almost 20 years. They have a daughter together and my sister had a daughter from a previous relationship. Both daughters are adults.

During their time together, he became increasingly controlling and verbally abusive to my sister and her 2 daughters. He was also physically abusive on occasion. His behaviour was completely narcissistic and he was isolating her from family and friends.

She left him in April last year, and began divorce proceedings a few months later and what has followed has been a bombardment of harassment towards her and her daughters, from the husband and members of his family, who believe him to be the victim of the situation.
    He has been non compliant with the divorce and had to be presented with the papers by a solicitor. He has not paid maintenance towards the younger daughter who is 18 and in ft education.

Police have been informed and they have been presented evidence and statements from the family regarding harassment and historic abuse.

They own a house together and my sister is keen to sell and spit assets so she can move into her own place with her younger daughter.

Recently, he has been detained under the mental health act. This presents a challenge if he has to sign official paperwork regarding the divorce or the house sale. Legally, where does she stand and what is her best course of action going forward?

Thankyou in advance for any help or advice you can provide

Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X