• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Change childs first name without fathers consent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change childs first name without fathers consent

I am writing for some advice about family law for my granddaughter.

Rosie is 11 years old and is transgender and has been living as a girl for 4 years (she says she has always been a girl).

She is diagnosed as autistic and struggles greatly with friendships (she sadly has no friends) and social situations. She attends a mainstream school and is extremely intelligent and is top of her year at school. She is in the last year of junior school.

Her parents are separated and she lives with her Mother (my daughter) and will stop over with her father once or (usually) twice a week who has joint parental responsibility.

She desperately wants to change her birth FIRST name to Rosie (by deed poll) and wants to do this before she starts her new school in September. Her current school will call her Rosie but occasionally (when her class has a stand-in teacher) they will accidently call her by her birth boy's name causing her to be very upset and embarrassed. The school is not trans friendly and refuses to let her use the girls toilets (telling her to use what used to be a teachers toilet).

Rosie gets very distressed when her birth name is used anywhere, not just at school, eg at the doctors.

Her mother is supportive of her changing her name by deed poll but her father is not.

Rosie finds it impossible to talk to her Dad about this (although she enjoys going to her Dads) he has the opinion that she is a child and he knows best.

Is there a way that my granddaughter can get her name changed by deed poll without her Dad’s consent?
    Tags: None

If the mother supports her decision, she can apply to the court to change the child's name by deed poll.
    The court would arrange an investigation (by CAFCASS) to interview Rosie, her Mum, her Dad and perhaps her teachers to decide if this in her best interests or not. Interestingly 11 is the age that the child's own views start gaining more weight with the courts.
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Thank you for your reply. Will we need to appoint a solicitor to do this for us?

Comment

Do not underestimate the possible complexity here. I think that a delay can only assist.

Comment

Originally posted by James Woking View Post
          Thank you for your reply. Will we need to appoint a solicitor to do this for us?
          No, 76% of all family court matters have one or more parties unrepresented these days. Perhaps some initial advice would be wise, but make the application yourselves otherwise the costs could be very significant, especially if he objects. The process could take a long time to resolve, expect 1-2 yrs.
          "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X