• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Attorney and excessive gifting - who is liable to repay?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attorney and excessive gifting - who is liable to repay?

An Attorney for a family member has made some significant gifts of money using her power of attorney. This has been raised as a concern and the money needs to be repaid. Who is liable to repay them? The Attorney who made the gifts or the recipients of them?
    Last edited by bb2; 31st January 2023, 18:07:PM.
    Tags: None

Definitely the Attorney. Possibly the recipient if he/she knew the source of funds.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
      Definitely the Attorney. Possibly the recipient if he/she knew the source of funds.
      Thanks, a letter has been sent by a solicitor acting for the attorney. It mentioned an enclosed e-mail from official solicitor, but no copy of that e-mail was enclosed and suggested repayment of money gifted. The other issue is that any money returned would be given back to the control of the one remaining attorney who gave it away originally, who has now cut off contact with other family members.

Comment

You may obviously ask for that which was intended to be enclosed but was not provided.

Plainly one option is to return the money. Are there good reasons not to do that?

I suppose you could ask what assurances can be given that the attorney will now act with complete propriety.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
          You may obviously ask for that which was intended to be enclosed but was not provided.

Plainly one option is to return the money. Are there good reasons not to do that?

I suppose you could ask what assurances can be given that the attorney will now act with complete propriety.
          Thanks again. I will await contact from the court, rather than a solicitor acting for the Attorney. So far I have not heard anything from the Court directly and am conscious that the solicitors are acting for her and not the other people involved. I won't be chasing them for a copy of documents that they failed to share with me. The money involved is safe and can be returned if required,

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X