• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Spending limits for single attorney when using joint and several decision making

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spending limits for single attorney when using joint and several decision making

I'm currently helping my stepmother make a Lasting Power of Attorney for property and financial matters and plan to use 3 attorneys. She would like to set it up so that day to day spending can be authorised by a single attorney without having to consult with the others ('joint and several') but have a clause, perhaps in the 'instructions' section, which says that spending of over (say) £10,000 requires a joint decision. Ideally, it should also cover sales of assets with a market value over this amount, and it would be worded so that it covered a single good or service (or package of associated goods or services) rather than just a payment amount so that it covered something that might have relatively low monthly payments or be split across several invoices, but actually committed her to a big total spend. Is this possible, and if so is there a standard or suggested wording? Or does the law simply limit you to joint and several decisions on everything or nothing? I would have thought that it must be something that quite a lot of people want to do in order to give a balance between easy day to day management of finances and protection against a big mistake or worse, but my Googling skills can't seem to come up with anything.
    Tags: None

If you look at the application form (LP1F) Section 3 gives advice about appointing attorneys to act jointly for some decisions, but jointly and severally for other decisions .https://www.gov.uk/government/public...er-of-attorney

Part A3 of this guideincludes pointers: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...de-web-version

Comment

Thanks, that's really helpful.

Comment

The guidance you referred to says that if any of the original attorneys drop out, then decisions specified as 'joint' can no longer be taken unless there are one or more replacement attorneys. That would not be a problem in itself, but it further seems to suggest that the joint decisions can then only be made by the replacement attorney(s), i.e. not in conjunction with the remaining original attorney(s) - am I reading that correctly?

Comment

The replacement attorney takes over from the original, and has exactly the same authority as the original

I agree the guide could be misunderstood.
          If you are still uncertain contact the Office of Pulic Guardian. They are very helpful. https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...ublic-guardian

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X