• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Buying mother in laws house...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying mother in laws house...

Hi
    my Mother in law wants me to buy her house, for 160k...its been valued at 250k....out of the 160k 90 will go to my wife's sister as her inheritance the remain will go towards building a granny flat in the garden for her to live in...

My wife can't go on the mortgage due to her bad credit..its just me

..my question is will my mil have to pay rent at the going rate to me, as some say she do and some say she doesn't....the granny flat doesn't need planning permission to build it. But led to believe if she doesn't pay the going rent then I will incur inheritance tax

.I've heard about deliberate depravasion of assets that the local council can come after you for fees if my mil has to go into a care home but my wife insist this won't happen....

I'm 56 and the mortgage will run until I'm 70...when we can then gift it to our daughter who will be 26 by then...

It is under the stamp duty I believe and also the inheritance tax as well I believe..
    Tags: None

Originally posted by Jiggy1965 View Post
    Hi

..my question is will my mil have to pay rent at the going rate to me, as some say she do and some say she doesn't....the granny flat doesn't need planning permission to build it. But led to believe if she doesn't pay the going rent then I will incur inheritance tax

Why do you believe you incur inheritance tax?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X