• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Special Guardianship Order

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Guardianship Order

This refers to family member awarded SGO.
    It is relevant that the magistrates court legal adviser is called Clarke so the area of England will not be mentioned.

The SGO was made in two parts. First, a Reasons order made by three justices named A, B & C.
    At the bottom is stated "Ordered by Justices of the Peace" so quite OK

The second part is the SGO Order made as case management order by lay justices with the legal adviser mentioned - again OK.

However, at the end is stated "Ordered by Mr. Justice Clarke".

In England that title is reserved for a high court judge and there is not presently one of that name. Magistrates clerks/legal advisers cannot make orders..

The worry is the SGO may not be valid as it was ordered by a fictitious officer/JP/judge.

Anyone ever seen this before?
    Tags: None

Hi,

Please let me know if I have misinterpreted your question - you are worried about the validation of an order which is granted by Justices' Clerk.

Since magistrates are volunteered laypeople and do not have any legal qualification, they will be supported in court by a trained legal advisor (also known as a Justices’ Clerk) to help guide them on points of law and procedure.

According to the Justices' Clerks Rules 2005, Justices' Clerk has the power of a single magistrate, such as granting an order.

However, if you have any further concerns, it may be worth to raise this concern to whichever court that granted you the SGO.**

Hope the information is helpful to your situation.
    I am a law student undertaking work experience on the LegalBeagles forum. My advice is from my own experience only and is given without liability. If in any doubt, please contact a regulated and insured legal professional to seek further advice.

Comment

Many thanks for your response. I have checked the rules and I do not think they apply. This was not appointing a guardian/solicitor under S41 CA and it was not an interim order under S38. It was a final disposal of a child's location up to its 18th birthday. The SGO was made in two parts. the "reasons" order was made by three lay justices. So it would be odd for a single clerk to then sign the actual final order, on the same day, in the case.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X