• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Adopting My Step Daughter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adopting My Step Daughter

Hi All,

I am new to the site and I was hoping that somebody can give me some advice please - maybe you have already gone through this yourself?

My partner and I have been together for just over 4 years now, which has meant that I have known her daughter for the majority of her life. She is now 6.

She doesn't see her father. He walked out on my partner whilst she was pregnant and he makes little to no effort to see his daughter. He last saw her August 2018.

My partner and I do not deny access, he just chose not to bother, and barely pays any maintenance either. When he does pay its direct to my partner and its only pocket money. Having calculated last years money received from him, it would amount to less than £250 for the entire 12 months!

My step daughter doesn't really want to see him. Probably because she doesn't really know him, although she occasionally asks about him.

We've talked about looking at adoption and I personally have mixed feelings about it right now but I am swaying more into the idea.

From other peoples experience and knowledge of the law, what can we do. Could we apply to courts for adoption, or would we require his permission to adopt her, what is the legal process?
    Tags: None

Yes I had to adopt my own daughter! Had to do so through the family courts and had to have a social worker. Took almost a year but fairly painless. Had to find my ex to get his permission and get a new Birth Certificate for her. This was back in 1982 so not sure how things have changed
    Her biological Dad got back in touch and she stil sees him and her half brothers.
    Last edited by dogtired; 21st September 2019, 09:23:AM.
    Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

Originally posted by dogtired View Post
      Yes I had to adopt my own daughter! Had to do so through the family courts and had to have a social worker. Took almost a year but fairly painless. Had to find my ex to get his permission and get a new Birth Certificate for her. This was back in 1982 so not sure how things have changed
      Her biological Dad got back in touch and she stil sees him and her half brothers.
      Thank you. I'd have no problem him being part of her life but he just seems disinterested. Seeing as he's only seen her once last year and has barely been in contact with her for 13-14 months now. We tried to see him a few months ago (adult to adult) to discuss all of this, We arrange a neutral time and place, and he never showed up. Said that he had to work late and couldn't make it!

I've pondered over it for last few months. She sees me as her dad anyways and I think it would add more stability into her life. My partner and I have our own child too and by adopting her I hope that it draws us closer together as a family.

I've just got to work out the legal bit.

Comment

All the best, hope it goes smoothly for you.
        Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X