• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. If this is your first visit to LegalBeagles and you need assistance then you can ask a question here;
    Create a Thread
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Changing my partner's son's surname

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Changing my partner's son's surname

    Hi there I'm new here. We have tried various avenues but have got nowhere. Basically I've been with my partner over 2 years now and have created a bind with her son that he calls me dad and I really do see him as my son. The biological father has been out of his life for 3 years and he's only 4 years old now. I've been in his life more than he has. Problem is my partner put him on the birth certificate because he threatened to kill himself if she didn't. There relationship involved lots of domestic violence towards my partner and he took drugs. Is there anyway we can change his surname to my surname. We thought it might be easier because he has my partner's Surname not his biological dad's surname but we doubt he would ever give consent. Is there anyway anybody can think of please?
    Tags: None

  • #2
    If the mother agrees then just start using your surname for everything. There is no intent to deceive.

    I did this with my stepdaughter, she adopted my surname by useage. The only awkward bit was obtaining a passport but the passport office were very helpful about matters. All her school certificates are with my surname. You will get the occasional jobsworth response but in 40 years there has not been a major problem.


    View our Terms and Conditions

    LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

    If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

    If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.




    Find family law specialists that offer fixed fee services on our sister site, JustBeagle...

    justbeagle screenshot

    Find a Law Firm NOW

    See more
    See less

    Court Claim ?

    Guides and Letters

    Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

    Find a Law Firm