• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Grandparents rights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grandparents rights

I’ve been stopped seeing my granddaughter by my sons girlfriend cause I shouted at the my granddaughter and her brother and said I would put them to bed . The girlfriend ran upstairs shouting at me to get out her house she left me and my son with her son and my granddaughter while she went to her mams her Mam came told us she wanted us out . This all happened 17th June she wanted me to apologize to the kids I agree everytime we ask to see your granddaughter she says no cause she is still in the huff with me so I need some advice on what I can do thanks
    Tags: None

Originally posted by Susan card View Post
    I’ve been stopped seeing my granddaughter by my sons girlfriend cause I shouted at the my granddaughter and her brother and said I would put them to bed . The girlfriend ran upstairs shouting at me to get out her house she left me and my son with her son and my granddaughter while she went to her mams her Mam came told us she wanted us out . This all happened 17th June she wanted me to apologize to the kids I agree everytime we ask to see your granddaughter she says no cause she is still in the huff with me so I need some advice on what I can do thanks
    I think you should go and visit a good lawyer.

Comment

Unfortunately grandparents do not have an automatic right in relation to seeing their grandchildren. So yes you can be stopped by the parents from contact with the grandchildren. On the plus side this is very rarely upheld (only in circumstances of abuse or violence) as the courts see what a fundamental part they play in the upbringing of the children. I would advise not getting to this stage of going to family court and either try sit and speak and come to arrangement and maybe talk about what the mother felt you did wrong etc.
      The information I supply is provided for informational purposes only and, should not be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Hi Susan Card,

It is always difficult when parents and grandparents disagree. It can also be so upsetting for the children.

What does your son have to say about it? Is his girlfriend the grandchild's mother? If not do you have contact with the mother and does she have a view? It seems a bit harsh being prevented from seeing your grandchildren because you shouted at them to go to bed.

Maybe you could arrange to see them with your son there or at the park for example and just avoid bedtime for the moment? Is there any other reason she reacted this way. Does she have concerns from a previous experience for example. Definitely worth trying to get to the bottom of it but in a supportive way. Demanding visits may not be the best tac tic at the moment until things have calmed down a bit.

It is definitely worth trying to reach an agreement to allow you to see the grandchildren without the need to rush off to see lawyers. It often doesn't help people cool down and reach a practical solution, although it of course has it's place in some situations.

Here if you need some support or guidance.
        I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

last resort would be a court order to seeing them - but as a last resort if all fails!

Comment

The advice given by James Law is correct. Unfortunately, grandparents do not have rights to see their grandchildren unless the child's father/mother is having contact with the child. If you have apologised to the child/ren and she is still angry about this, the I will advice that you discuss attending mediation with her. Legal aid may be available but this will depend on your income and capital. Good luck and keep us updated as to how things are going with you, i.e. if contact has been reinstated. Sandra
            Although I am a family lawyer, any advice given on this forum should be taken as guidance only and should not be applied to your specific circumstances. If you are uncertain as to your legal rights, I recommend that you seek independent legal advice from a lawyer local to you. Do not forget to update us on your case. Good luck

I work in Coventry on Mondays and Thursdays and Stevenage on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X