• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. Please register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
  • If you need a solicitors help with your employment issue you can find and rate firms on our sister site, JustBeagle.com

    You can obtain Free Expert & Confidential ACAS Code Based Employment Law Advice directly from ACAS by calling 0300 123 1100. It is available Monday to Friday 8am-6pm. Or visit their website at ACAS.ORG.UK
  • LegalBeagles® is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

claiming loss of earnings

This thread is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • claiming loss of earnings

    hi my friend has a query
    he was suspended for 4 months on basic pay, consquently cleared of all allegations and proven he was wrongfully suspended.
    Can he claim for loss of earnings including enhancements. If so can any one tell us how he goes about it please. He is currently working for the local council social services department.

    nannie ali

  • #2
    Re: claiming loss of earnings

    In Gogay v Hertfordshire County Council (2000) it was found that suspension of an employee pending an investigation into alleged wrongful act will be a breach of the implied term of trust and confidence if it is a disproportionate reaction.

    Did his employers suspended before carrying out preliminary investigations to ascertain if there was a case to answer? Did his employment contract contain a specific term allowing for suspensions?

    If he does make a claim, it will be for a breach of contract for wrongful suspension and in particular for breach of the implied terms of trust and confidence.

    However, the court will only consider contractual entitlements and not, for example, any discretionary bonusus which the employee might have received. If the employer is not under a contractual obligation to provide the bonus, the loss of it to the employee does not follow from any breach by the employer, so please explain what you mean by enhancements.
    Last edited by Cetelco; 29th May 2008, 10:35:AM.


    • #3
      Re: claiming loss of earnings

      Hi luv
      his enhancements would be things like so many night shifts a month, weekend work etc. Where he would of been paid alot more than the basic rate. the first month of suspension he would of been rotared on in advance. so for example he should of been working christmas day which would of been £4oo plus he lost for that day alone. but following months he wouldnt of been rotared as they knew he wouldnt be at work any way.


      • #4
        Re: claiming loss of earnings

        Is he still working for the same employer? In order to bring a breach of contract claim through the Employment Tribunal, his employment must have ended.

        If he is still with the same employer, then I would suggest if he is a member of a union that he speaks with his union representative.


        • #5
          Re: claiming loss of earnings

          yes he is still with the same employer! not sure if he in union but will ask. So basically he wont be able to do anything as he still works for them??


          View our Terms and Conditions

          LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

          If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

          If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.



          Employment Law

          Are you having problems with your employer ? Unfair Dismissal, Redundancy, Problems with Pay, Contract Issues, TUPE etc.
          See more
          See less

          Court Claim ?

          Guides and Letters

          Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

          Find a Law Firm